Thursday, July 2, 2020

Red, White and Blue


Red, White and Blue
 
  4th of July is just a few days away.  As a quilter, we make all kinds of projects with out Red, White and Blue as tote bags, placemats, table runner, potholders and quilts for our veterans and ourselves.  It is our way of honoring our military, first responders and the men and women of our country.
  I remember my first patriotic quilt.  It was in high school, when I worked on it. (You notice that I write , I worked on it.)  The quilt was hand embroidery using red and blue floss on a white background.  When my mother passed, I found the blocks in her things.  The quilt was never finished.  It is finished now and I realized that ever since high school, I like all kinds of Red, White and Blue quilts and projects.
  To me, an Americana or Patriotic quilt doesn’t have to have eagles or flags or other American symbols just be red, white and blue.  The minute you see that red, white and blue, you know that it stands for the United States.  Being from South Dakota, our flag is a yellow/gold seal on a blue background.  I am proud to be from South Dakota but never think of any of my blue/yellow quilt as representing the state.  It is not quite the same thing as a red, white and blue quilt.  I wonder if other countries take the same pride in their flag to use its colors for quilts?
  The key to all this is that we take pride in our flag and country.  We show it by making the quilts, placemats and etc.  We give the to our fathers, husbands, sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles,  nieces and nephews, and all those that have served.  There is a VA hospital near by.  Many of the patriotic quilts made by the local quilters are given to the hospital for the veterans to enjoy.
  If you haven’t had a chance to make a Red, White and Blue quilt, placemats or etc., maybe now is the time.  Sew you pride in being an American.
  Enjoy the 4th,
    Terry


No comments:

Post a Comment